Monday, December 21, 2009

Grateful for...

With Thanksgiving in the rear view mirror and Christmas just a few days away, this time of the year is always a time that I cannot help but reflect on how good God has been to me and my family. I actually was going through files on my computer this morning and came across an email sent to me a few years ago by a friend of mine, David Robbins at The Aquila Project (www.theaquilaproject.com http://tapasia.wordpress.com). I thought I’d pass on to you some of what he shared in that email…

I am grateful for…

*Being born in this country (we had no say where we were born or to whom we were born--it was the gracious gift of God).

*Having a wonderful home (1.3 billion people around our world are living without adequate shelter).

*Our health and access to healthcare (there are 1.5 billion people who have no access to medical care).

*Adequate clothing (1.4 billion people are without adequate daily clothing).

*Clean, fresh water (an estimated 25,000 people die everyday due to dirty, polluted water).

*Freedom to meet with brothers and sisters in Christ in worship (3 billion people are denied freedom to assemble).

*God’s provision of an income to meet our needs through faithful giving of ministry partners (1.9 billion people live in absolute poverty).

*His Word (380 million people are still waiting to receive God's Word in their own language).

*Certainty of heaven (one third of our world population have never even heard the name of Jesus).

*Our family and friends.

When I read those statistics, I’m reminded of how fortunate we all are. As you continue through this Christmas season, may you be faithful to reach out to those who are in need around you. God’s purpose does not end at us being blessed, but that we will be a blessing to others. I hope you and your family pause in reflective gratitude to the God of good gifts this season.

1 comment:

  1. Those are shocking stats. I don't like to think about that, but I must. These are things I take for granted daily... forgive me, Lord. And thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete