Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Life Happens While You're Busy Making Other Plans For It

Time flies…whether you are having fun or not, time flies. In just a couple weeks, we will flip the calendar again and head into another year, and in fact, another decade all together. Seems like the other day we were all freaked out about Y2K, and now, just like that, it’s about to be 2010. It’s ridiculous, really it is. Life goes by so incredibly fast it seems like a blur. As I spend time with my wife, my boys, and those in my family, I often consciously tell myself to take it all in, to not miss “life” and all the blessings of God. I’ve heard it said, “Life happens while you’re busy making other plans for it”. Wow…that’s so true for so many of us. Certainly it’s been true of me at different points in my life.

I’ve always been a planner. I often think about the future, about being prepared, being ready for whatever is to come our way. Even in simple things like a family vacation, I spend probably too much time planning exactly where we’ll stay, what we’ll do, etc. I’m not sure being this way is always a good thing, but hey, it’s part of who I am. And as a planner, I’ve had to constantly remind myself over and over again that THIS IS MY LIFE. Instead of always looking ahead, I need to open my eyes, take a look around and enjoy this life and the blessings of God. Brooks will never be 4½ again, and Brayden will never be 2½ again. They are growing up and at some point soon enough, they will both realize that the Christmas gifts they get on Christmas morning are actually just gifts from mom and dad and not from some guy named Santa Claus. Tammy is my bride and never could I have imagined being so blessed with such a wife and mother to our boys as she is. Yes, I am a blessed man. And, I need to take it all in, not miss any of it. This is life…now. I can put the thoughts and plans for the future on hold for a little bit and just enjoy this life now.

1 comment: