Tuesday, December 22, 2009

John Piper

As one of the Christmas gifts to my mother, I plan to give her a collection of cd’s containing powerful messages from pastors that have impacted my life. If I’m honest, there is only a small number of pastors/teachers who I really love listening to. One such pastor in that short list for me is John Piper. The man has a gift…he can flat out preach, and I love to listen and learn from this man.

Well, tonight as I was looking through messages stored on my iTunes, I ran across some of Piper’s sermons, a few that I have kept because they were so impactful in my life. A couple messages stood out to me as I was looking and scanning through what I’ve saved. There are lots of messages I could pass on, but tonight, a few really stood out to me.

One such message that I’ve actually passed on to others in the past is a message Piper preached on the subject of evangelism titled, “I’m Sending You To Open Their Eyes”. I need to listen to this message a couple times a year, primarily as a reminder of my calling as a believer to be active in evangelism, as well as a motivator to develop intentional relationship for the purpose of sharing Christ. It’s a message where Piper gives very practical advice on sharing Christ with the lost. Great ideas, and great motivation to get out there and seize the opportunities God puts in your lap. You can download the audio of the message here: http://tinyurl.com/6f6h9b

A couple other messages that have impacted my life….“Doing Missions When Dying is Gain” and then the message he preached at One Day 2000, titled, “Boasting Only in the Cross”. You can find these messages along with hundreds of other’s at www.desiringgod.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment